Paper Bag Book Talk
Submitted by: Jennifer McGregor
After the students did their Book Talks, they were eager to read each other's books! Great inspiration!
1. Choose a novel.
2. Read the novel.
3. Prepare an oral report which includes the following
* Name of author
* copyright date
* a brief summary of the plot and the main characters (don't give away the ending)
* your personal response (why you choose the book, what you liked or didn't like about it and why, your favorite character, etc.)
* connections between this book and your own life, or other books you've read, movies you've seen, etc.
4. Prepare a paper bag (I got a local grocery store to donate bags!)
* On one side of the bag, write the title and the author's name
* Decorate the rest of the bag with scenes from the novel.
* Put your name on the bottom of the bag.
* Inside the bag place the book itself, and a selection of items that relate to the ideas and characters in the book.
* Practice explaining why you chose each item.
5. When you give your report, begin with the information in Section 3 and then share the items in the bag and discuss them
6. Due date ___________
A. Oral Report
* Author, copyright date, genre, setting, theme 10
* Summary of plot 15
* Personal response 15
* Connections 10
B. Paper Bag
* Appearance of bag 25
* Selection of objects and explanation 25
C. Total 100