Submitted by: Jennifer de Rocquigny
Here is a great activity that you may want to use to kickoff your poetry unit. I've taken it from a wonderful book called "Classroom Events Through Poetry" by Larry Swartz. My students loved it and it gave us all a chance to have fun in the library.
A Treasure Hunt
1. Find a line of poetry that mentions an animal.
2. Find a line of poetry that mentions a color.
3. Find a line of poetry that mentions the name of a person or place.
4. Find two lines of poetry that rhyme.
5. Find three pairs of rhyming words.
6. Find a line of poetry that is four words long.
7. Find a line of poetry that has ten syllables.
8. Write the title of the last poem in the book.
9. Write the first line of the first poem in the book.
10.Write the last two lines of the second poem in the book.
11. Copy a poem that is less than twenty-five words.
12. Write a title that makes you smile.
13. Identify the most unusual looking poem and identify reasons for your choice.
14. Write three questions about your book for others to answer.
15. Write the year the book was published.
16. Choose an alternate title for the book.
17. Find out if there is an index of first lines. Write the title of the first poem in the index.